Following a by-election, Mike Turinsky has been elected as a local board member representing the Botany sub-division on the Howick Local Board of Auckland Council. Mr Turinsky stood in the October 2016 election, when he polled fourth with 3912 votes.
Electoral Officer Dale Ofsoske announced the voting results as:
- Mike Turinsky (Practical Not Political) 3510 votes
- Mark Johnson (Labour) 1387 votes
- Ailian Su (Independent) 1045 votes
- Julie Patterson (Independent) 925 votes
- Kuan Cheong Yap (Independent) 851 votes
- Nivedita Sharma Vij (Independent) 536 votes
- Malcolm Page (Independent) 486 votes
“Of the 36,333 electors issued a voting document, 8771 (24.14 per cent) voted,” says Mr Ofsoske.
The Howick Local Board Botany subdivision area encompasses Flat Bush, East Tāmaki, East Tāmaki Heights and Ormiston. The by-election followed the resignation of local board member Lucy Schwaner in November 2016.
Mr Turinsky will be sworn in on 20 March and from then will be able to take part in the local board’s decisions.