Volunteers from 46 organisations in Rodney were honoured recently by the Rodney Local Board.
Rodney Local Board Chair Beth Houlbrooke thanked all volunteers for their huge contribution to communities and public spaces all over Rodney.
“Every day volunteers exemplify a can-do attitude and a cheerful willingness to do whatever it takes to help others. We thank our volunteers as well as their families who totally support their efforts and enable them to devote time to their community.”
Each volunteer group nominated a representative for the award. Volunteers came from a broad range of community sectors including arts, environment, sports, residents and ratepayer groups and hall committees.
Dennis Cummings, a member of Lions Club of Helensville for 40 years, inspired and led the Lions contribution to the Kaipara Riverside Walkway and the walkway to Mill Road.
Andrea Berrington-Humes has served on the Glorit Memorial Hall committee for over nine years and is the driving force behind a community hall that is well-used and maintained.
Marianne McCoid from Age Concern Rodney is a volunteer driver and is on call whenever needed. She helps out at a local rest home and walks and boards guide dogs for the Blind Foundation.
Patte and Roger Williams have an extensive knowledge of plants and weeds and help lead the War on Weeds. They work hard removing invasive weeds from local parks and reserves, help co-ordinate weed amnesty days and belong to the Tawharanui Open Sanctuary Society.
Rodney Volunteer Awards
- Francis Swann - Helensville-Waimauku Family Budget Service
- John Montgomerie - Highfield Garden Reserve Advisory Committee and Highfield Donkeys Association
- Earle Wright - Integrated Kaipara Harbour Management Group
- Merv Bayer - Kauri Bushmans Association
- Anne Beckett - Grey Power
- Marianne McCoid - Age Concern Rodney
- Richard Papworth - Algies Bay Residents and Ratepayers Association
- Gill and Kevin Adshed - Atuanui Restoration Project (Mt Auckland)
- Vicky Sheriff - Blue Light Wellsford
- Leanne Holder - Coatesville Settlers Hall
- Arthur and Tricia Gundy - Forest and Bird Community Coast Care Group (Leigh)
- Andrea Berrington-Humes - Glorit Memorial Hall
- Maria Gibson - Harbourmaster Volunteers
- Ralph Martin - Kaukapakapa Residents and Ratepayers Association
- Robyn Jones - North Rodney Community Arts Council
- Derry Faulder - Kumeu and Districts Community Centre
- Dennis Cummings - Lions Clubs Zone 4 Rodney (Helensville)
- Michael Gordon - Mahurangi Action Plan Group
- Dell McKenzie - Mahurangi East/Goodall Reserve Advisory Committees
- Cimino Cole - Mahurangi Coastal Trail Trust
- Mark Illingworth - Mahurangi Community Sport and Recreation Collective
- Trish Allen - Matakana Community Group
- Gerry Henley - Muriwai Environmental Action Community Trust and Muriwai Community Association
- Wayne Sutton - Muriwai Surf Life Saving Club
- Denis O’Callahan - Omaha Shorebirds Protection
- Laurence Eyres - Point Wells Community and Ratepayers Association Inc
- Heather Reid - Point Wells Halls and Recreation Reserve Advisory Committee
- Jennifer Lambert - Port Albert Wharf and Domain
- Carol Hood - Ranfurly Hall (Bourne Dean Reserve)
- Steve Harrison - Sandspit Residents and Ratepayers Association
- Graeme Hounsell - Scouts(Kaukapakapa)
- Lesley Leversha - Snells Beach Residents and Ratepayers Association
- Elon Bycroft - South Kaipara Landcare
- Margaret Faed - Springboard
- Ray Blackburn - Tawharanui Open Sanctuary Society
- Cliff Wright - Te Awaroa Residents and Ratepayers Association
- Patte and Roger Williams - War on Weeds, Warkworth
- Marjorie Blythen – Warkworth A&P Society
- Lois Burton - Warkworth District Museum
- The late Tim Ellison - Forest and Bird Warkworth Branch
- Joe Koppens – Rotary Club of Warkworth
- Cunitia Wilkinson - Warkworth Town Hall Restoration Trust
- Stef Railey - Wellsford Promotions
- Richard Gerard - Whangateau Hall
- Dr Roger Grace - Whangateau HarbourCare Group Inc.