Christmas came early for 11 young adults awarded Papakura Local Board Pathways and Excellence grants.
Most of the grants were for $2000 to help the recipient with university studies including architecture, engineering, business studies and marketing, but there were also grants for leadership programmes and music.
Board deputy chair Felicity Auva’a said Papakura was blessed with many outstanding young people and being able to help was always a highlight for the board.
"We get to meet some amazing young people who are aiming high and dreaming big, many of whom want to gain skills they can use to improve their own communities.
"We were particularly pleased with the range of study our young people are taking, but also to support budding musicians and one young man who is gaining valuable trade skills."
- Daryn Govender, Institute of Directors leadership conference, $1684
- Levi Turner, UN Youth North America leadership tour, $2000
- Rusila Waqasobasoba, business studies costs, $2000
- Anika Singh, marketing studies costs, $2000
- Chelsea Ross, architecture study costs, $2000
- Renee Wilson, jazz workshop costs $1050
- Taalia Joostenm psychology and marketing study costs, $2000
- Jayden Key, engineering study costs, $2000
- Carlin Dempster, electrical engineering study costs, $2000
- Chhavi Breja, psychology study costs. $2000
- Phillip Liu, music tuition and costs, $2000.
Recipient Daryn Govender serves on the Rosehill College board and the Papakura/Franklin Local Distribution Committee for the Department of Internal Affairs.
"The Institute of Directors leadership conference will enable me to upskill my governance knowledge, hear from leaders including Sir John Key, maintain my chartered director certification, and add value to my boards."