Commuters and visitors to Eastern Viaduct will have their taste buds tantalised as a mix of food trucks roll into the newly opened piece of public space for the month of April.
A crumpet connoisseur, modern Māori cuisine and coffee served from a self-sustainable espresso bicycle are among the delicious delights that will be on offer.
Public car parking has been removed from the viaduct to prioritise the space for pedestrians and cyclists. In its place is a 35-metre table and a mix of seating styles with shaded areas designed to encourage people to share food, conversation and make connections with friends both old and new.
In the future, the table will have information about the development of the city’s waterfront, designed to get people sharing ideas about the future of Auckland. The layout and food offering on Eastern Viaduct is temporary to allow for flexible use of the space, which in turn will inform the longer-term plan for how it is shaped.
The change is the realisation of the 2012 Waterfront Plan, where the intention to return the space to the public and improve the connection between the waterfront corridor and Wynyard Quarter was first outlined.
Access for authorised vehicles remains to allow marine and business activities to continue to thrive in the area. Parking for berth holders also remains unchanged and service vehicles are permitted access to deliver to businesses and restaurants on Viaduct Harbour.
The nearest public parking is in Downtown car park, which has more than 1900 spaces including 19 mobility car parks. More mobility car parks are available on Princes Wharf and in Wynyard Quarter.
Schedule of food trucks on Eastern Viaduct in April
- Puha & Pākehā: Modern Māori fusion cuisine, April 19, 20 27.
- Bow & Tie: Finest blends of coffee served from a self-sustainable espresso bicycle, April 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29 (every weekend).
- Kraken Crumpets: Fresh sweet and savoury crumpets, coffee and cold drinks, April 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 30.
- The Otherside Vegan Café: Vegan-inspired whole bowls, kimchi burritos, smoothies and coffee, 26, 28, 29.
- Good Karma coffee, April 19, 20.