Breadcrumb navigation

Auckland adds 43,000 new residents in the June year

Published: 23 October 2015

Tweet this quote Share Share this

43,000 new Aucklanders in the last year

In the past 12 months, Auckland’s population grew by more than 43,000 people and more than 1.57 million people now call Tāmaki Makaurau home.

Auckland’s population grew 2.9 per cent, the fastest growth in the country, in the 12 months ended June 2015. The city, which now accounts for half of Aotearoa’s new residents, hasn't seen this level of population growth in 12 years. 

More than two-thirds (67 per cent) of Auckland's population growth came from new arrivals, with the remainder (33 per cent) from natural increase. 

“Tāmaki Makaurau has always been a magnet for people,” says Mayor Len Brown. “That’s why since the birth of the new Auckland we have been focused on laying the foundations for our future: a strong Auckland economy, jobs for our young people, keeping our city moving, affordable quality housing, and cohesive communities across Auckland.”

"The challenge ahead is to continue to work at pace towards creating the world’s most liveable city for everyone who chooses to call Auckland home.”

819 new Aucklanders every week

To put this into perspective, the council estimates that:

  • Auckland has an additional 819 new residents each week
  • 344 new homes are built in Auckland every week
  • there is a new street created every two days
  • 405 jobs are created in Auckland each week
  • 670 vehicles are imported via Ports of Auckland every day.

Responding to this sort of population growth impacts on council activity levels and resourcing in major infrastructure such as transport, water and wastewater, and also regulatory areas such as building consents.

For example, last year staff numbers at Auckland Transport increased by 116 full-time staff members to support a large number of projects, including the first full year of HOP card operation and completing the roll-out of the new electric trains.

In other areas such as animal management, the council has employed an additional 48 staff to cope with demand. But taking this service in-house has produced a net saving to ratepayers of $800,000.

Tackling the challenges of growth

Auckland has been tackling these big growth challenges, as well as making up for decades of under-investment, in areas such as:

  • opening new libraries in Devonport, Ranui, Ōtāhuhu, Te Atatū, Waiheke and Wellsford
  • upgrading three water treatment plants in Waiuku
  • adding 178 hectares to Auckland's regional parks network and linking 100 kilometres of walkways on Waiheke Island
  • opening eight new sports and recreation facilities in Mt Albert, Glenfield, Manurewa, Ōtāhuhu, Orākei, Rodney, Whau and Upper Harbour
  • investing in new cycleways, such as the Westhaven Marina promenade and the 1.5km Beach Road cycleway.


Annual report highlights

Read some of the highlights from Auckland Council's latest annual report.

Tackling Auckland's housing shortage

Freeing up more than 1000ha of land for housing – enough for around 12,000 new homes – is one of the steps Auckland Council is taking to tackle the city’s housing shortage.

Better Digital Futures for Seniors: Digital Introductory Pathway

A free four-week course for seniors who want to learn and use digital technologies.

Council gears up for Auckland’s growth

Auckland Council is making changes to its Operations division as it gears up to respond to the challenge of Auckland’s rapid growth.