We all have times when we need to escape the stress of our daily lives, and there's nothing like the great outdoors to help you feel relaxed and invigorated. Whether you’re a beginner or a Zen master, Auckland’s parks and green spaces offer the best spots for some quiet reflection and meditation.
Here are our top five picks:
1. Fukuoka Garden in Western Springs Lakeside Park
Featuring a tea pavilion, a waterfall, a pond and more than 1800 native New Zealand and Japanese plants, this Japanese garden will transport you to your happy place.
2. Mokoroa Falls in the Waitākere Ranges
Here you can listen to the rhythmic sounds of flowing water and enjoy the beautiful sights of the west coast.
3. Mount Eden
Watch the sunrise with spectacular 360-degree views of the city at the top of Auckland’s highest volcano.
4. Auckland Botanic Gardens
Blend in among the more than 10,000 plant species or find the perfect spot for some ‘me-time’ within the 10 hectares of native forest.
5. Shakespear Regional Park
With stunning views of the Whangaparāoa Peninsula, Shakespear is one of two wildlife sanctuaries in Auckland. It’s the home to a number of animals and if you’re lucky, you might hear the elusive sounds of the little spotted kiwi.
Need something indoors? Check out these locations:
1. Botany Library – clear the mind every Sunday with free yoga from 11.15am-12.15pm.
2. Auckland Council Pools and Leisure – join a BODYBALANCE class at your local leisure centre, which will leave you feeling centred and calm. Visit to find your local centre.
3. Auckland Art Gallery – after spending some time perusing the exhibitions on display, why not take a seat and enjoy the peace and quiet?