Do you know someone who is an unsung hero, that quiet achiever who shuns the limelight?
Howick Local Board wants them to get the recognition they deserve.
Board chair David Collings says residents nominate anyone they believe deserving of a Howick Celebrated Citizens Award.
“It’s for anyone and everyone who plays a special role in the life of the community. We have people doing an amazing array of tasks right across our area. There are incredible people everywhere and many of them toil away without any kind of recognition,” he says.
Nominations might be individuals who touch lives through their actions, or come from clubs or organisations, charities or schools.
“They will certainly be the people who put others first, who we as a community recognise are special, and who have made a difference for the people around them.”
Judges will be looking for good people from the Howick area whose work benefits people and their communities. They will consider their length of service and any other significant factors, such as influence in wider Auckland.
If you know someone who makes an outstanding contribution please nominate them.
Nominations close at 5pm on 12 May.
Full criteria and categories are available on the nomination site.
If you have a question, email email@example.com
An awards ceremony will be held at the Howick Club on 26 May from 6pm-9pm.
The categories available are:
- Rising Star – a young person (up to 18 years old) who has put Howick "on the map" through an exceptional act or achievement
- Exceptional Service – for a local business that provides prompt, friendly service from start to finish
- My Place – a newcomer/new migrant who has embraced the local community by way of service and involvement and encouraged others to do so
- Youth Development – someone who has created/coached/mentored a group of youth into a successful group or team to achieve a positive outcome
- Arts Award – a resident who is an exceptional artist - music, performance or visual arts
- Kauri Award – for long-standing contribution to maintaining Howick's beauty and ecological sustainability
- Golden Heart Award – for that one person who goes the extra mile to serve the community, be it school patrol supervisor, volunteer driver etc
- Citizen of the Year – this award is for the person who, either voluntarily or through their work, has made a significant contribution to the Howick ward (all nominees will be considered for this award)
All you need do is complete this form, providing the details of the person you are nominating and the category, along with your contact details.