Auckland Transport (AT) is working with the community to trial safer ways to travel and to create a more vibrant Ponsonby Road between Anglesea Street and Williamson Avenue.
The changes will be temporary, installation will be quick, and adjustments can be made once the changes are in place.
This is part of Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency’s Innovating Streets for People programme that aims to change our streets to safer and more liveable places.
From 5 March to 21 March feedback was open on nine concepts for the changes. We have had a great response with 2769 votes and many comments on the concepts, from a combination of our Social Pinpoint webpage, on-street interviews, and a survey of businesses.
With limited time and budget, we won’t be able install all these concepts, and decisions on which ones to go ahead with will be based on public feedback, expert feedback, and time and budget considerations.
There was strong support for six of the nine concepts. See full results below.
Public feedback, total support for concept
- Barnes Dance Crossing - 89 per cent support
- Improve pedestrian crossings on side streets - 87 per cent support
- Expressing the Ponsonby character - 84 per cent support
- De-clutter the footpath - 81 per cent support
- Safety improvements to mid-block crossings - 77 per cent support
- Dedicated delivery and taxi pick-up and drop-off areas - 61 per cent support
- Shared lane - 39 per cent support
- Parklets - 35 per cent support
- Restrict right-turn crossings - 31 per cent support
Thursday 25 March - We held an awesome workshop with Richmond Road School which we will report back on next month
Wednesday 31 March - Detailed designs are being created and will be reviewed by subject matter experts by Wednesday 31 March.
April 2021 - All feedback will be reviewed, stakeholder engagement will continue, funding decisions will be made.
Mid 2021 - We are aiming for changes to be in place by mid-2021.
Mid 2021 - We will hold an open day if possible, monitor the impact of the changes, and allow for adjustments to be made in response to public feedback.
Find out more at AT.govt.nz/ponsonbyroad