Whale Tales 2022, an incredible immersive public art trail, is surfacing in Tāmaki Makaurau this January.
80 Tails telling 80 tales will be dotted across Auckland streets, parks, and open spaces for 12 weeks starting 24 January 2022.
Each giant tail is inspired by a healthy ocean and designed by some of Aotearoa's most talented artists. Follow the outdoor trail for some fabulous family fun, or wander through with friends to find your own favourite.
WWF-New Zealand has partnered with Wild in Art, Auckland Unlimited, and Harcourts NZ to bring the trail to the City of Sails and raise awareness of the vital work WWF-New Zealand does to look after our ocean, including our beautiful Hauraki Gulf and its endangered resident, the Bryde's Whale.
There are only 135 Bryde's whales left in the Hauraki Gulf, and it is a "Nationally Critical" species. Together, we can help restore the Gulf and protect the future of this taonga species.
Explore the unique and stunning whale Tail sculptures, designed by talented artists and students, and sponsored by generous businesses and organisations. Every Tail has its own tale too, so soak up the rich stories as you journey through the trail.
And the legacy of Whale Tales continues long after the trail ends.
The sculptures will be auctioned to raise funds for WWF-New Zealand's vital work to protect and restore the Hauraki Gulf and the Bryde’s whales that call it home.
How to participate:
Download the Trail Map from whaletales2022.org
Download the Whale Tales 2022 App from App store or Google Play (available January 2022)
Share your tale with us on the Whale Tales App or social pages.
Check out the activations and experiences happening around our theme weeks through Whaletales2022.org or Whale Tales 2022 App.
- Week 1: Of-Fish-ally launched (24 Jan-30 Jan)
- Week 2: Kia Ora Tāmaki Makaurau (31 Jan-6 Feb)
- Week 3: Blue Backyard (7 Feb-13 Feb)
- Week 4: Pod Pride (14 Feb-20 Feb)
- Week 5: Climate Action (21 Feb-27 Feb)
- Week 6: Health & Wellbeing (28 Feb-6 Mar)
- Week 7: Taste (7 Mar-13 Mar)
- Week 8: Arts & Culture (14 Mar-20 Mar)
- Week 9: Support WWF (21 Mar-27 Mar)
- Week 10: Tech & Innovation (28 Mar-3 Apr)
- Week 11: Friends & Family (4 Apr-10 Apr)
- Week 12: The Final Splash (11 Apr-18 Apr)
A series of special events will be happening throughout the trail, which will be updated on whaletales2022.org and via the Whale Tales App.