From 24 June to 3 July, some of Auckland’s finest piano-based musicians will perform at their favourite locations, with a series of innovative twilight concerts free to the public.
Each Illuminate Matariki event harnesses digital technology, which enables the notes of the piano to trigger a captivating light show unique to each song.
Each evening begins with a performance by Tereora – bringing waiata (songs) and kōrero about Te Whānau Marama (Family of Light), and the magic of Matariki/Māori New Year. Tereora’s work focuses on themes of Maumahara (rememberance) and celebration in Aotearoa, that the rising of the Matariki leads us into. “Mānawatia a Matariki – we welcome Matariki!”
The captivating line-up of piano-based performers and venues is:
- Fri 24 June, 5.30pm & 7.30pm – Matthias Jordan at Holy Trinity Cathedral, Parnell
- Sat 25 June, 7pm – Nic Manders at Tahaki Reserve, Mt Eden
- Thu 30 June, 7pm – Greg Johnson & Guests at All Saints Ponsonby
- Fri 1 July, 6pm – Matthias Jordan at Avondale Arts Space
- Sat 2 July, 7pm – Jan Hellriegel at Pah Homestead
- Sun 3 July, 7pm – Nick Dow at Titirangi Beach
Full information is available on the website: https://www.popuppiano.nz/
Organisers encourage attendees to bring chairs, rugs, snacks and hot drinks. Relax into a series of special family-orientated events - a spectacular visual and musical feast to remember.
Illuminate Matariki is supported by the Local Activation Fund Programme, administered by Tataki Auckland Unlimited on behalf of the New Zealand Government.