This year the Birkenhead Community is coming together to create a diverse celebration of what it means to be queer. Join groups exploring the outdoors, meet and share experiences with others in your community and enjoy all the opportunities this month has to offer!
- Free rainbow rock climbing | every Friday, 6pm-9pm | Birkenhead Pool & Leisure Centre.
Get your body moving with free rock climbing! Meet other queers in a judgment free environment. For ages 14+, no experience is needed with trained instructors on-site.
- Queers in Nature walks | Wednesdays 7th & 14th, 10:30 - 11:30am | Meet at 17 Lauderdale Rd, Kaipātiki Project EcoHub.
Embark on a colourful journey with our Rainbow friendly guided nature walk! Explore nature's palette through the hidden gem that is Eskdale Reserve. Join us for a joyful stroll, where every step is a celebration of nature's richness and rainbow diversity.
- The Joyful Movement | Friday 9th, 1pm | Onewa Christian Community, 172 Hinemoa St.
The Joyful Movement is an approach to exercise that centres the diverse and unique needs of Aotearoa's Transgender and Non-Binary communities. Come along to listen, learn, and join a thought-provoking conversation exploring how The Joyful Movement is transforming the way we think about and approach movement and exercise.
- Take Pride in your Bush | Sunday 4th, 10:30am | Monarch Park, Hillcrest.
Weeds are threatening your bush! Come and join a weeding bee with Pest Free Kaipātiki and learn to identify some common pest plant species which threaten native bush, as well as some general knowledge about native reserves and ecosystems, to increase queer youth involvement in conservation.
- All ages community potluck | Saturday 10th, 3pm | Onewa Christian Community, 172 Hinemoa St.
This is a chance for anyone to come along for an informal social time with others. Conversation, questions and sharing ideas as we share yummy food with each other. Think, 'substantial afternoon tea.' If possible, please bring a small plate of food suitable for sharing. This is an event for all ages and stages. If you have questions or ideas for the afternoon, please email Greg Morgan at email@example.com.
- Rainbow Gardening Club | Monday 12th, 1:30 - 3:30pm | 17 Lauderdale Rd, Kaipātiki Project EcoHub.
Join us for a vibrant and inclusive Rainbow-Friendly Gardening Event! From compost and container growing to companion planting, embrace the joy of gardening with a welcoming community. Let's grow together in a garden that reflects the beauty of every colour in our spectrum!
- Clothes Swap | Saturday 17th, 9am - 12pm | Highbury House, 110 Hinemoa St.
To celebrate Pride Month we will be holding a clothes swapping event. Come along with clothes you no longer want and see if you can find some hidden treasures. Gender and size inclusive!
- Queer crafternoon | Wednesday 21st, 4pm | Birkenhead Library, 204 Hinemoa St.
Do you have the queer mindset of "I'm gay, so yes I can do that'? Come along to our craft-ernoon to crochet a pride flag or create your own rainbow craft! Craft supplies provided, BYO projects welcome!
- Rainbow Rhymetime | Wednesday 28th, 10am | Birkenhead Library, 204 Hinemoa St.
Join us for a special rainbow rhymetime to celebrate Pride Month! Come along to join in the fun with rainbow songs, stories and games as we celebrate our diversity! Suitable for tamariki ages 3+, but all whanau, siblings and caregivers are welcome!
- Rainbow Movie Night | Thursday 29th, 6pm | Birkenhead Library, 204 Hinemoa St.
After hours at the Library! Join us for a night of movies, talking about your favourite queer media and meeting new friends! Suitable for rangatahi ages 13-17. Enjoy the movie about an unlikely hero who must channel her newfound powers to fight bizarre and bewildering dangers from the multiverse as the fate of the world hangs in the balance. Registration essential, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Birkenhead Library.