Here’s our short list of 10 essentials that should always be packed whenever you go camping:
- A tent, tarp and sleeping bag.
- A pot, pan, dishes, utensils, and fire-starting materials (preferably waterproof matches or a butane lighter).
- A utility knife and length of rope.
- Plenty of water (get 10-litre sizes for cooking and cleaning).
- Energy rich, easily prepared foods and snacks (think pasta, beans, mince, peanut butter, chicken, scroggin, rolled oats).
- Plenty of clothing (enough for two to three layers daily).
- A tight-closing chilly bin to store your food items.
- Hand sanitiser and soap.
- Sunscreen and any medications you normally take.
- Outdoor gear like fishing poles and tramping equipment.
Auckland Council operates 44 campgrounds throughout its regional parks, ranging from beach front to back country. Call 09 301 0101 to make a booking.