Matariki is on the way and to celebrate, Auckland Council is once again hosting free community planting days over winter.
Matariki community tree planting events have been an annual fixture of Mayor Phil Goff’s Million Trees programme since it was launched in 2017 but had to be cancelled last year due to COVID-19.
Mayor Goff says he’s looking forward to once again joining Aucklanders to help make the city greener.
“In 2019, we surpassed my promise to plant a million mainly native trees and shrubs across the region by almost 100,000, and we have since increased our ambition, aiming to plant 1.5 million more trees in this term of council,” he says.
“The COVID-19 lockdowns last year meant that our tree planting days had to be cancelled, but our successful pandemic response has enabled them to go ahead again this year in time for Matariki.
“One of the key themes of Matariki is getting together with friends and family and remembering those who came before us. These themes are especially relevant at this time, given the extraordinary events of the last year, which required us to keep our distance from loved ones to stamp out COVID-19.
“I encourage Aucklanders to come along to a tree planting day this year and help make our city a better and greener place to live.
“The trees we plant this year will make our city more beautiful, create carbon sinks to help reduce emissions, and reduce siltation into our harbours and waterways.
“By attending a tree-planting day, you’ll be able to leave a green legacy for future generations, teach your children and grandchildren about the value of environmental stewardship and participate in improving Auckland’s environmental future,” Mayor Goff says.
Matariki tree-planting days
- Saturday 29 May, 10am and 1pm, Puhinui Reserve 108 Prices Road, Wiri
- Saturday 13 June, 10am, Tāpapakanga Regional Park, 95 Deerys Road, Ōrere Point
- Saturday 19 June, 9.30am and 12.30pm, Hosking Reserve, 463 Dairy Flat Highway
- Sunday 20 June, 10am, Tāpapakanga Regional Park, 95 Deerys Road, Ōrere Point
- Friday 25 June, 10am, Sanders Reserve, 142-178 Sanders Road, Pāremoremo
- Saturday 26 June, 10am and 1pm, Tōtara Park, 90R Wairere Road, The Gardens
- Saturday 3 July, Friday 9 July, Saturday 17 July, 10am, Sanders Reserve, 142-178 Sanders Road, Pāremoremo
Visit milliontrees.co.nz for more details of planting days.