Winter has arrived and with it thousands of native plants ready for planting in local parks across the Upper Harbour Local Board area.
Chair Anna Atkinson says the local board is inviting locals to help plant over 9500 shrubs and trees in local parks over the next three months.
“Our volunteers and council parks staff really appreciate the extra help because while winter time is ideal for planting, it is a short season and a very busy time.
“Helping out is what it is all about. Our students are leading the way and are lending a hand in parks near their schools.
“Planting days are a great opportunity to give something back to our community and with just a few hours of hard work, you are making a positive contribution.”
Public planting days are:
- Nimrod Reserve Hobsonville, Tai Crescent entry – 10 June, 10am
- The Landing Albany, end of Wharf Road, planting and weeding day – 10 June, 10am
- East Sutherland Bridge Hobsonville, Buckley Avenue entrance – 1 July, 10am
- Pahiki Reserve Herald Island, end of Twin Wharf Road – 22 July, 10am
- Sanders Reserve Paremoremo, main carpark, 22 and 29 July, 9.30am
- Te Kori Scott Point, park entrance opposite Skua Road, 22 July, 10am-12.30pm
- Oratau Reserve Greenhithe, 13 Oratau Place, Wednesdays, 9.30am
- Wainoni Park Greenhithe, Churchouse Road, Thursdays, 9.30am
Other planting sites including school plantings are Bluebird Reserve, Hosking Reserve, Rosedale Park, Wainoni Park and William Gamble Reserve.
Greenhithe Community Trust Eco Facilitator Nicola Robertson plays a key role encouraging locals to volunteer at planting days.
“Planting benefits native wildlife and biodiversity and helps with forest regeneration and sediment reduction.
“A planting day is a tangible contribution that you can make to your community, providing you with the opportunity to connect with other local residents, whilst caring for the environment.”
Ways to get involved
Stay up to date
Want to stay up to date with all the latest news from your area?
Sign up for your Upper Harbour Local Board E-news and get the latest direct to your inbox each month.