Exercising during winter can be hard. "It’s too cold", “it’s raining” and “I just can’t be bothered” are some of the things we battle with when getting active this time of the year.
Yet heading to the gym, pool or a group fitness class when it’s cold and dreary outside can be fun and rewarding. Especially when you’re surrounded by a community of people who, like you, are on a journey to better health and fitness.
“Getting active in winter can be hard but there are so many benefits,” says Ritua Ali'iva'a, Auckland Council’s Fitness Lead.
“These include improved mental wellbeing, boosted immune system and increased blood flow and circulation. You also burn more energy, as you have to push yourself harder to get warmer in the cold.”
Tips for staying active this winter
- Make a list of your fitness goals and break them down into small achievable steps. Having a plan helps you have clarity on what you want to achieve and increases your commitment.
- Schedule your session into your day and make it a priority, so that it becomes a habit over time.
- Include your family in your sessions or train with a mate. Here’s why
- Find any opportunity to get moving each day – walk to the printer on the other side of the office or take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Play a social or competitive sport – how about indoor netball or basketball? Check out your local leisure centre for a range of recreation programmes on offer or book out one of the hireable sports courts.
- Go for a brisk walk around the netball court, rugby or soccer field while your kids are training.
- Complete a bodyweight programme (or the Five50) in the comfort of your own home or workplace. Five50 consists five sets of:
- 10 squats
- 10 burpees
- 10 sit ups
- 10 mountain climbers
- 10 second rest
- Do something you enjoy. Because if you enjoy it, you’re more likely to do it.
Warm up with us this winter
Escape the cold by warming up at your local Auckland Council Pool and Leisure Centre this June.
Get your first two weeks free, when you join on a Get Into It membership for three-months or more!*
There are a range of other flexible membership options, so you can choose how and where you want to get active.
Go to Auckland Council Pools and Leisure for more information.
*Terms & Conditions apply.