Auckland Council has finalised arrangements for two new recycling drop-off points for Franklin residents, which will be open later this month. The locations will operate on alternate Sundays from 9am to midday.
The locations, which are for the convenience of rural residents travelling from the west and east of Pukekohe, are:
- Bombay – Bombay Rugby Club, 40 Paparata Road (opposite Bombay School) from Sunday 24 January, 9am-noon and running each fortnight.
- Patumahoe – Clive Howe Road (next to Patumahoe School) from Sunday 31 January, from 9am-noon and running each fortnight.
A third location is still being sought in Pukekohe township; this location will be confirmed at a later day.
The council’s Waste Solutions team has been working closely with the Franklin Local Board to confirm sites and operators to run extra drop-off points for customers, after the owners of the Pukekohe transfer station advised their recycling drop off service would cease from Monday 11 January.
Envirowaste, a privately owned business operating on their own property, told the council of their decision to pull their recycling drop-off service a week before Christmas.
“Envirowaste is a private business and there has never been a contract in place with us to run the site or the service,” says Auckland Council’s Waste Solutions Manager Ian Stupple.
“Franklin residents who do not receive a fortnightly kerbside recycling collection are telling us they want to keep on recycling, and we are keen to ensure this happens.”
Envirowaste has said publicly they no longer have room for town recycling at their site and they will prioritise their waste to landfill services.
Auckland Council does not fund recycling drop-off services for Waikato residents or recycling generated by commercial activities.
The council offers a kerbside recycling collection for urban residents, and will extend the service to rural residents when the current collection contract ends, from 1 July 2017.
“We look forward to moving to consistent services for everyone, so our customers in Franklin receive the same service as each other and the rest of the region.”
Recycling drop-off locations
- Waiuku Community Recycling Centre, 5 Hosking Place, Waiuku (opening hours: Thursday to Sunday, 8am-4pm).
- Papakura Transfer Station, 25 Inlet Road, Papakura (opening hours: Monday to Saturday, 8am-4pm, Sunday 10.30am-3.30pm).
- Matakawau, Matakawau Road (off Awhitu Road) – a permanent drop-off facility for metal cans, glass and cardboard only (not plastic bottles).
- Hunua – last Saturday morning of each month at Parks Depot, 4 Lockwood Road, Hunua. NOTE: This month the collection will be on Saturday 23 January to accommodate the holiday period. It will return to the usual timing from February onwards.
- Waiau Pa Hall – first Saturday morning of each even-numbered month (bi-monthly).
- Bombay – Bombay Rugby Club, 40 Paparata Road (opposite Bombay School) every second Sunday from Sunday 24 January, 9am-noon.
- Patumahoe – Clive Howe Road (next to Patumahoe School) every second Sunday from Sunday 31 January, 9am-noon.