Visitors to Torbay Plaza will soon be able to enjoy a safer, more pedestrian-friendly and attractive centre.
Hibiscus and Bays Local Board has allocated $204,600 for the upgrade, which is a joint effort between local businesses, residents, the Torbay Business Improvement District and Auckland Transport.
Torbay Plaza is built around publicly and privately owned land. Improvements include:
- new seating for pedestrians and shoppers
- relocating the bus shelter to free up space for seating
- transforming an unused triangle of land into a new public space for events
- installing pedestrian crossings at each side of the Toroa Street roundabout
- widening footpaths in front of several businesses and moving some parking
- installing coloured asphalt over existing footpaths in both public and private spaces.
Work starts in September and is expected to take two months.