The Big Auckland Clean-up is about supporting the amazing work being done by volunteer groups, local community hubs, religious and sporting groups, marae and individuals. It’s about connecting volunteers with community groups and organisations and ensuring any work they do is safe for them to do.
Highlights and upcoming events
Today, Auckland Council staff have been working with volunteer groups in Puketāpapa / Mt Roskill, including the ARK Collective, Red Cross and Student Volunteer Army, knocking on doors in affected areas to find out whether people need help and what we can do.
If you want to help out in the Puketāpapa area, the ARK Collective is coordinating a major drive for volunteers this Saturday, 11 February. Check out the ARK Collective Facebook page for more details, including a registration form (please register before Thursday night - 9 February).
The great outreach work is continuing all week in Māngere, based at the Moana-nui-a-kiwa Pool and Leisure Centre and involving a large number of community groups.
If you want to get involved, they are briefing volunteers daily at 9.30am to support households removing flood-damaged goods. Everyone is welcome, as long as you are 15 years or over, and they especially want local volunteers and those with experience supporting Māori and Pasifika communities.
Do you need help?
You may not be accustomed to asking for help – but it is there if you need it.
- For urgent help, please phone Auckland Emergency Management on 0800 22 22 00.
- For non-urgent help, the Student Volunteer Army (SVA) has stepped up to take details and coordinate support. Contact SVA via their website or fill out their ‘request flood assistance’
- You can also reach out directly to community and support groups in your area such as via Facebook community pages.
Do you want to help?
- Check out Volunteer Auckland’s website for a list of where you can find lists of active groups and how to get in touch.
- See your local board’s Facebook page to find out about community initiatives in your area.
- If you would like to help with the clean-up efforts, please contact the council on 0800 CLEAN UP (0800 253 268).
- If you cannot physically help but would like to provide financial support, you can also donate to the Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund.
Kia kaha, Tāmaki Makaurau
We know it’s not easy to be on hold or in a long queue but please also remember to be kind to our teams on the ground. They are working hard to process everyone as quickly as possible.
Whether you are out knocking on doors, cleaning up your own home, or helping a neighbour out – please remember how difficult a time this has been for so many Aucklanders and keep supporting each other.