Auckland Council’s five-year milestone is an opportunity to reflect on the achievements of Devonport-Takapuna Local Board during this period.
“Numerous high value projects have been delivered in our area in the first five years of Auckland Council,” says Local Board Chair Joseph Bergin.
“In Devonport, this has included the new and greatly improved Devonport Library, which has won awards for its design and the admiration of locals. Then there is the vastly improved Devonport Marine Square and northern wharf transformation, which has improved access and connections to public transport and the Devonport village.
“In Takapuna, we have had Hurstmere Green developed into an internationally award-winning space. The development defines and modernises central Takapuna and provides better connections between the town centre and the beach.
“In addition to several significant restaurant and cafe developments overlooking the beach, we will also enjoy a world-class playground, soon to be built on Takapuna Beach Reserve.
“In Milford, we have the new Wairau Creek footbridge nearing completion. This new bridge features a drawbridge section to allow boats to continue to enter and exit the nearby marina, while offering local walkers and cyclists easy access to Milford Reserve.
“At Greville Reserve in Forrest Hill, we have just had a very impressive park development completed. This includes the installation of a 3-on-3 basketball court, a state-of-the-art multipurpose artificial turf, a learn-to-ride play area and an improved skate park. This serves as a brilliant example of a modern play area for all ages, and helps to make our part of the city even more fun, liveable and vibrant.”
Key achievements include:
- Building of the new award-winning Devonport Library
- Devonport Marine Square and wharf redevelopment
- Bayswater pipe bridge – more attractive and safer for cyclists
- Wairau Creek draw-bridge – a new walking and cycling bridge connection that also allows boats to enter and depart the Milford Marina
- Local Board Area Plan and centre plans for Milford and Takapuna
- Hurstmere Green – modern, award-winning park design, connecting town Takapuna centre with the beach.