Flying school history celebrated at Selwyn Reserve

Click on arrows to flick through photo gallery

Last Updated : 24 Nov 2015
Flying school history celebrated 01
Flying school history celebrated 02
Flying school history celebrated 03
Flying school history celebrated 04
Flying school history celebrated 05

A sundial with special significance has been installed at Selwyn Reserve.

The Orākei Local Board, with support from Air New Zealand, commemorated the centenary of the New Zealand Flying School by restoring the memorial and reinstating the sundial at Selwyn Reserve on 31 October.

The original sundial was installed by Tasman Empire Airlines Ltd (TEAL), in 1961, to commemorate both the flying school’s achievements and the 21st anniversary of TEAL’s scheduled air services. It was later stolen from the reserve.

The New Zealand Flying School, which was established in October 1915 by brothers Leo and Vivian Walsh, was originally headquartered in Orākei, before moving to the foreshore at Mission Bay.

“The New Zealand Flying School made an important contribution to this country’s aviation industry and to our local heritage,” says Orākei Local Board events portfolio lead Kate Cooke.

“Celebrating its centenary and restoring the memorial is a great opportunity to make sure our local stories are well known.”

More than 100 pilots trained for the Royal Flying Corps at the school, most of them going on to serve in World War One, including ace Keith Caldwell. George Bolt, who later became the chief engineer at TEAL, was one of those employed both as a pilot and an engineer.

Back to News