In case you haven’t heard, composting is back in vogue.
Savvy composters can dramatically reduce the amount of household waste they throw away and create a healthy, natural fertilizer for their gardens.
In fact, 50 per cent of household rubbish is organic waste such as food scraps and garden waste, so composting is a great way to keep waste out of landfill.
Eight surprising things you can compost
- Old herbs and spices
- Dryer lint and dust bunnies
- Champagne and wine corks
- Contents of your vacuum cleaner bag if you have wool carpet (but not the Lego pieces!)
- The occasional balloon (latex, not foil)
- Stale wine and beer
- Electric razor trimmings (actually, any hair and pet fur)
- Matches, toothpicks and bamboo skewers
For more information on composting, or to find a FREE workshop near you in Auckland, visit the compost collective website.
Get stories like this in your inbox
Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter and get OurAuckland’s top news and events delivered to your inbox. There's also the chance to win with some great giveaways.