Beautiful beaches, a bustling waterfront and rich local heritage are a few of the features that make the Ōrākei Local Board area a popular destination.
Here are seven things to do while you're there.
1. Spot pūkeko (or ducks) at Waiatarua Reserve – New Zealand’s largest urban wetland.
2. Go for a wander in the Ōrākei Basin.
3. Visit Takaparawhau / Bastion Point, a historically significant site and the home of local iwi Ngāti Whātua-o-Ōrākei.
4. Check out the Michael Joseph Savage Memorial, a tribute to the first Labour prime minister and the man credited as founding the New Zealand welfare state.
5. Go for a stroll on Kohimarama Beach: Sun, sand, surf … well, kind of. You can also visit Okahu Bay, St Heliers Bay, Mission Bay, Karaka Bay and Ladies Bay.
6. Take a totally iconic photo of Rangitoto Island.
7. Take the kids for a paddle in the Mission Bay Fountain on Tāmaki Drive.