Bins beat bags!
Congratulations North Shore, your new 'pay as you throw' rubbish wheelie bin service started in April and is already saving thousands of plastic bags going to landfill. And if everyone on the North Shore switched from bags to tags, we would save 2.5 million plastic bags going to landfill each year!
Auckland Council pre-paid plastic rubbish bags stopped being collected on 29 June - read on to find out everything you need to know about using your new bin and tags.
Here’s how it works
1. Buy a pre-paid tag from your supermarket checkout.
2. When your rubbish bin is full, attach the tag to the left-hand bin handle, and take your council bin to the kerbside by 7am on your usual collection day.
3. Our trucks will collect council rubbish bins with a tag on that day.
What you need to know
- Is your property included? Check here
- Please use your old blue bin.
- If you don’t have a bin, or your old one is broken, request a new bin here.
- Request a smaller or larger bin here.
- Your rubbish collection day stays the same. Check your collection day here.
- Put your bin on your kerb by 7am on your usual collection day.
- You don’t need to buy plastic bags – rubbish can be placed directly in the bin.
- You don’t need to put your bin out every week – you can wait until it’s full. You only pay when your bin is collected.
- If you still have a stock of pre-paid rubbish bags - please visit an Auckland Council service centre and they will assist you with swapping your leftover bags for tags.
- Auckland Council's Waitākere transfer station will continue to accept rubbish in orange bags.
Find out more
Find out more at Make the Most of Waste.