For a fifth year in a row, Bella has topped the list of most popular dog names on Auckland Council’s dog registration list and shows no sign of waning in popularity.
“Prince Charming didn’t even come close,” Council’s Animal Management Manager Sarah Anderson laughed.
Other right royal pooch names registered on the council’s dog database include Prince Charles and Mary Queen of Scots.
Many actors, celebrities and sporting icons also share their name with Auckland’s furry four-legged friends including Adam Sandler, Adele, Billy-Bob, Brendon McCullum, Richie McCaw, Lady Gaga, Blondie, Charlie Chaplin, Prince, Bill Murray and Beyonce.
Then there are owners who like to name their pets after the hard stuff, with Tequila, Whiskey, Baileys, Beer, Vino, Booze and Vodka all registered.
Some of the database’s more unusual names include 10k, 2Face, A$AP, A1, Y and YG.
Bella was again followed by Charlie and Max.
“The last two years have seen no change within the top 10 list,” Sarah said. “It appears Aucklanders love the traditional popular dog names.”
The top 10 names for 2020 were:
Sarah said throughout 2020 Manukau Animal Shelter staff took turns naming “adoptable dogs”.
“Each month the staff pick a different theme with June’s theme of well-known radio and television presenters proving popular,” she said.
Host of More FM’s drive show Jay-Jay Feeney found the naming of a Neapolitan Mastiff cross a “giggle”.
“I am literally wetting myself laughing,” Jay-Jay told her listeners when she found out. “I’m not sure… should I be flattered or offended?"
Other 2020 standouts:
- Cheese & Crackers
- Vouvou Uke Ariki O Akatokamanava
- Captain Bear Grover
- Captain Chico Lollipop
- Mr Pickles
- Frankie Freddie Roper Csapo-Camu?
- Pippa Wetzell
- Suzy Cato
- Prince Charming
Auckland Council furry facts for 2020
- The total number of known dogs in the Auckland Region increased from 110,969 in 2018/19 to 112,530 in 2019-2020 – an increase of 1.4 per cent
- 52 per cent of all dogs are male, and 48 per cent are female. The average age of all dogs in Auckland is 6 years, 7 months
- The average age of all dog owners in the region is 48.3 years
- The Labrador Retriever is Auckland’s most preferred breed (13,793)