Temporary Accommodation Assistance for displaced homeowners

Publish Date : 19 Jul 2023
City 2

Today the Government announced that from 4 September, people who were displaced from their homes by the extreme weather events earlier this year will be able to receive interim financial support when their insurance payments for temporary accommodation run out.  

Auckland Council’s Group Community and Social Recovery Lead, Linda Greenalgh, says “I’m thrilled that the Government has responded to the advocacy of community and council which highlighted the need for a  solution that met Aucklanders’ needs. Displaced families are doing it tough, and we know that for many people, insurance support will soon run out.” 

“This is really significant because it will allow people to stay in their communities, and maintain connections to their social networks, schools and workplaces.” 

How will it work? 

Direct weekly payments will match your actual weekly rent, with different caps for different household situations: 

Household situation 

Maximum weekly payment 

A couple with two or more children / a single parent with three or more children 


A couple with one child / a single parent with two children 


A couple with no children or a single parent with one child 


Single person 



Displaced families eligible for this payment can receive a lump sum payment covering them from as early as 1 June 2023. To apply you need to register with the Temporary Accommodation Services and apply via Work and Income (WINZ) from 21 August. For the complete process, please visit the TAS page on WINZ

Am I eligible? 

  • You must have a tenancy agreement from before 19 July 2023, and have been displaced from the home you own following the extreme weather earlier this year. 
  • If you are still receiving temporary accommodation assistance from your insurer, you will only be eligible for the package once this cover runs out.  
  • Payments will not be means-tested, but you will be asked to declare that you have taken reasonable steps to limit the cost of your temporary accommodation and MSD will be able to take into account your wider financial circumstances. 
  • Payments can only be used for private rentals, not commercial accommodation such as hotels and motels. 
  • You will not be eligible if you are already receiving the Accommodation Supplement or the Student Allowance Accommodation Benefit. 

More information about eligibility criteria and how to access the payments are available in the Government FAQs here: https://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/default/files/2023-07/NIWE-TAA-QA.pdf

Back to News