Own-Your-Own Unit is a scheme operated by Auckland Council to provide affordable housing options for our older (and wiser) Aucklanders.
The council offers one and two-bedroom units for sale to seniors aged 65 years or over at 80 per cent of the market value (with the exception of the units at Carrick Place in Mt Eden, which are sold at 50 per cent of the market value).
“Each complex is purpose-built for seniors who enjoy the security and independence of owning their own home, but might not want to maintain a larger property,” says Kim O’Neill, Auckland Council’s Head of Stakeholder and Land Advisory.
“There is a growing need for social and affordable housing for older people in Auckland, a result of our ageing population, rising house and rental prices, and lack of suitable housing. Own-Your-Own Unit is all about providing an alternative housing choice for older communities.”
Are you eligible?
To be eligible to apply for an Own-Your-Own Unit you need to be:
- aged 65 years or over (as a general rule)
- receiving a New Zealand National Superannuation, or similar
- of modest means (without significant investments or investment properties)
- able to purchase a unit outright without a mortgage (some exceptions apply)
- the owner-occupier of the unit. Units cannot be rented out or sublet, nor can family members live in the unit with the owner on a permanent basis.
Location, location, location
Own-Your-Own units are located across Auckland and we currently have vacancies in most villages.
- Burch Street, Mt Albert
- Carrick Place, Mt Eden
- Coyle Street, Sandringham
- Trafalgar Street, Onehunga
- New Windsor Road, Avondale
- Pakuranga Road, Howick
- Bardia Street, Belmont
- Bayswater Avenue, Bayswater
- John Bracken Way, Beach Haven
Visit the Auckland Council website for more information and to apply.