The Franklin Pool and Leisure gym in Pukekohe is now open around the clock, seven days a week.
It’s the first council-owned gym to extend its hours to 24/7, a move which comes three months into the job for new facility managers, Belgravia Leisure.
The new gym hours give users more flexibility and the centre’s manager, Kris Edwards, says it complements its substantial investment in new equipment, programming, staff, and layout upgrades.
"Usage and memberships at the centre are now at record levels. We’re seeing a fantastic number of sign-ups and people joining in various sessions," says Mr Edwards.
“In addition to 24-hour access we’re in the process of adding Les Mills group exercise classes. There are already some on the timetable and a full launch is scheduled for February 2016.
“With the current trend, we’re confident there will be good usage outside normal business hours. It’s great that the costs of keeping the gym open during those hours are very minimal.”
The Franklin Local Board awarded the centre’s management contract to Belgravia earlier this year after a robust tender process. Local Board Member Alan Cole says there has been substantial progress.
“Belgravia Leisure came to us with a well-rounded proposal to get more people using the facilities and to get more active. Already the centre has been kitted out with new equipment and fresh programmes, getting people more excited about fitness and water safety,” says Mr Cole.
Franklin Pool and Leisure includes:
- Gymnasium and health club equipped with brand new state of the art fitness equipment
- Les Mills group fitness classes
- Kids’ bumper boats on holidays and weekends and more water bouncy castles
- Swimming lessons for all ages, squad training and aquatic fitness
- Before and after-school care programmes
- A $15.90 per week membership charge with no minimum term, no joining fee, 30-day money back guarantee, and five free one-on-one sessions with a trainer
- Kids at Play sessions.
For more information, visit franklinleisure.co.nz.