As clean-up from weather events continues around Auckland, many residents are dealing with debris and other storm-related waste on their properties and in the community.
To assist Aucklanders in disposing of this waste as quickly and efficiently as possible, we’ve compiled the following information and advice.
Storm-related waste on your property
Residents with Insurance
- If you have insurance, please contact your insurance company in the first instance to confirm the process for disposing of storm-related waste, including building debris, soft furnishings and storm-damaged household items.
- A number of private waste companies can provide you with skip bin or flexi bag to collect your waste. A list of these companies can be found here [PDF].
- You can also take your debris and damaged items to a Waste Transfer station in Auckland. A list of these can be found here [PDF].
Residents without Insurance
- We have arranged for waste to be taken for free at participating transfer stations within the Auckland region. If you would like to take your waste to one of these stations, please phone Auckland Council on 0800 22 22 00 to confirm your visit. You will need to provide your name, address, and vehicle registration to make the process easy at the gate and adhere to the facility rules, including wearing closed shoes. A list of participating facilities can be found here [PDF].
- If you are unable to take it to a facility, please phone us on 0800 22 22 00 so that we can assess the best option for collecting your waste.
Please note that roadside rubbish and recycling collections will continue as normal. For the next two weeks they will take place one day later than usual due to Auckland Anniversary and Waitangi Day public holidays. Find more information on Auckland Council’s website.
Storm-related waste on public land
- For significant blockages or debris (including vehicles) in streams and waterways or vegetation, please phone the council on 0800 22 22 00.
- If you need skip bins to be placed in communal areas where the storm damage has been extensive, please phone 0800 22 22 00 so that we can assess the need and provide the required service.
- If your rubbish or recycling bins have gone missing or been damaged during the storm, please request a new one through the council’s online form. Please mention the flood in the “Let us know if there's anything you want to say about this bin” section to ensure your request is processed with urgency.
- Please report illegal dumping on 0800 NO DUMP
- For normal roadside collections please visit Auckland Council’s website.
If you have any further questions about how to dispose of storm-related debris, please call Auckland Council on 0800 22 22 00 for advice.