New pathway connections, an improved drop-off zone, play nodes and covered areas are just some of the concepts being proposed in the new plan for Windmill Park.
From Friday 16 June to Monday 17 July 2023, the Windmill Park community is invited to provide their views on Windmill Park’s draft concept plan at akhaveyoursay.nz/windmill
Locals are also invited to an open day on Saturday 24 June 11am - 2pm to drop in and find out more from the council’s Parks & Community Facilities team.
What’s a draft concept plan?
The draft concept plan introduces potential ideas for community to provide feedback on, which will be considered before the final concept plan is approved. The concept plan will then provide a vision for future improvements in the park as the area grows in population and will be delivered as funding becomes available.
What’s being proposed in the plan?
The plan includes the following proposed improvements for Windmill Park:
- Create a new covered BBQ and picnic area adjacent to the courts and green open space.
- A new grass area is created for informal recreation, where the previous half-courts were located.
- New shelter and seating area adjacent to the courts will provide shelter from the rain and sun for court users and spectators.
- Reinstate and improve the old-terraced seating adjacent to the rear courts to increase spectator areas. This will provide a connection to the potential play area.
- Modify the height of fencing around the courts to provide a more open feeling, but only use lower fences where high fences are not needed to contain balls.
- Protect the lava flow and middens through more planting and signage on the hill to prevent walking and cycling in this area.
- Incorporate interpretation at key locations throughout the park to highlight aspects of significant cultural significance to iwi and mana whenua.
- Incorporate interpretation of the park’s history and name into the new park pavilion.
- Install a drinking fountain for the new pavilion building.
Windmill’s needs heard
In July 2022, the council received more than 250 feedback submissions from community of Windmill Park who provided their thoughts on what the park needs. These insights and ideas have informed Windmill Park’s draft concept plan – which is now ready for your feedback.
Have your say
Remember to let us know your thoughts on Windmill Park’s draft concept plan consultation by Monday 17 July 2023 at akhaveyoursay.nz/windmill. And drop into Windmill Park’s open day on Saturday 24 June, 11am – 2pm to find out more.