It’s time to give Huapai Domain a new lease of life as consultation opens on the future of the 50-year-old park, with locals being asked for their feedback on the plans.
Rodney Local Board Chair Brent Bailey says the local board would like to hear community views on how they see Huapai Recreation Reserve changing and developing.
“The domain is home to many sports and recreation facilities, and our aim is for the whole community to enjoy a full range of activities at the park.
“More and more families need places to play, and there is a definite need in Rodney for a large destination sized playground that caters for children of all ages and has lots of play activities. With the old playgrounds due to be replaced, the domain has been selected as the ideal location for the large playground, which will be the first of its kind in Rodney.”
Along with option for the new playground, the plan considers the future Northwest Rapid Transit Corridor project and Waka Kotahi proposals that impact some of the land on the reserve’s southern side. It will be used to inform discussions between Waka Kotahi and Auckland Council.
Bailey says, “New park facilities will need to bear in mind the position of a future transport corridor.
“Now we are keen to hear what people think about the proposed plan and the design of the destination playground. Their feedback will help us design improvements and identify future development priorities for the reserve.”
The consultation period runs until Thursday, 25 January 2024.
Key moves from the draft development plan:
- Maintain the current sports provision and support an undercover area between club buildings.
- Amalgamate and upgrade the existing playgrounds into a destination playground.
- Connect up and extend the existing path network.
- Improve vehicle access and increase car parking in the domain.
- Develop a planting plan to improve biodiversity and support learning opportunities.
Ways to have your say
Read the Huapai Reserve Recreation Development Plan before giving feedback.
• Attend a drop-in session at Huapai Domain on Saturday 20 January, 5pm-7.30pm.
• Give feedback online at akhaveyoursay.nz
• Download a feedback form and email it to email@example.com or drop off at Kumeū Library, 296 Main Road Huapai.
Stay up to date
Want to stay up to date with all the latest news from your area?
Sign up for your Rodney Local Board E-news and get the latest direct to your inbox each month.
You can also connect with us on Facebook.