Just over $30,000 has been awarded in the first round of Hibiscus and Bays Local Board’s small grants funding.
Among the grants is one for the Awatuna Sea Scouts Group for a new roller door on the building where its equipment is stored. The existing door is damaged and restricts access to kayaking and sailing equipment needed to get out on the water.
Board chair Gary Brown finds the grants experience both rewarding and tough as hard choices have to be made.
“It’s inspiring to be able to support some of the great work being done in our communities. In the future, I hope more people will be able to attend our business meeting to hear how this happens.”
The local board discusses the various applications and makes its decisions in its business meetings.
Sport, theatre and volunteers gain support
There will be open coaching nights for juniors at Browns Bay Racquets Club and cricket coaching in local schools organised by the East Coast Bays Cricket Club.
On the Hibiscus Coast, grants are assisting the Centrestage amateur production of Lion King JR and Stage It Productions to mentor youth wanting to get into technical aspects of theatre production.
- Stage It Productions Ltd, $2000, mentors' programme costs
- Estuary Arts Charitable Trust, $2000, volunteer training costs
- Centrestage Theatre Company, $2000, sound and lighting costs for Lion King JR
- Panacea Arts Charitable Trust, $2000, therapeutic arts class costs
- Coast Pet Care Charitable Trust, $1650, trap cages for animal rescue
- The Scout Association of New Zealand (Awatuna Sea Scouts Group), $1844.60, roller shutter door
- Whanau Marama Parenting Ltd, $1567, parenting courses
- Silverdale And Districts Historical Society Inc, $1000, garden tools
- Future Whangaparaoa Trust, $2000, trailer for community cafe
- Business Whangaparaoa Inc, $2000, trade and marine expo costs
- Youthline Auckland Charitable Trust, $1000, youth leader's salary
- Coast Youth Community Trust Inc, $2000, youth events costs
- The Sustainable North Trust (Hibiscus Coast Zero Waste), $1650, volunteer waste education services for Boulevard Arts Festival
- Lions Club of Orewa Charitable Trust, $150, generator hire for Big Dig fundraiser
- Bowls North Harbour Inc, $1233.04, laptop and software
- East Coast Bays' and Districts Cricket Club Inc, $2000, junior cricket coaching
- The Browns Bay Racquets Club Inc, $2000, junior coaching nights.
The board also approved an urgent request from Friends of Okura Bush for a $10,000 grant to support the bush festival taking place in February.
Details of the applications are in the agenda of the board’s December business meeting.
Find out more
The next grants round, which supports the development of local facilities opens on 25 January. Visit the Auckland Council website for details and to apply.